Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Pint-Sized Intro

Hi. If you're reading this blog its probably because I linked you to it so there is no need to tell you my name. All the same, I'm Annalisa and I've created this blog as a means of recording my journey to make it across the finish line of a Half Marathon.
One thing that I want in life is to be able to consider myself a healthy but also physically fit person. My idea of fitness isn't just about how much a person can lift or how 'ripped' you look...but rather a person who has a considerable level of functional strength, flexibility and stamina. As a devout yoga lover I have no issues with flexibility and thanks to moderate free weight and body weight training I'm pretty happy with my strength...but I have always had a big question mark next to my endurance. I used to run track in high school but once I graduated I became inactive. Even when I started up exercise again I never took back up my long distance running. Now, a few years down the line, I would run a handful of miles once in a blue moon and manage alright but I never really challenged that aspect of my fitness.
SO...mom tells me about a half marathon in December and my first reaction is 'hell no.' I doubt I can finish it, I'm afraid of losing too much weight, I want to gain muscle mass, I don't want to have to face GI issues on the road and blah blah blah more excuses but after doing a little research, the support of friends and family, talking to some friends and actually teaming up with one...my thoughts are 'Why the hell not?'
This takes us to the point of this blog...I'm going to record as much of what I am doing as possible (feedback welcome!) and hopefully this little adventure of mine will be a success!

At the moment I have a pretty loose training plan where I will incorporate into my week a series of different length and intensity runs, having one particularly long one before a rest day, weight training, yoga and other forms of cross training. Lord help me.
Also in regard to diet, I'll be sharing some of my meals (and recipes if requested) and other dietary information. So far I am going to go with a 2000 calorie, high carb diet. According to a informational marathon diet plan that I was loaned (thanks!!) I should be needing about 300 grams of carbs on days where I train 1-2 hours and I'll work out how much I need if I go over that. Most of my calories will come from carbs and the rest will come equally from fats and proteins. FYI, I'm a pescetarian so I only eat vegetarian food or seafood. I can't say that I love the calorie counting game but since I don't want to cross the finish line looking like a rake I had better make sure that I am eating to support this new activity.

Anywhooo, if you don't want to read all of that, here it is in a nutshell:

Name: Annalisa
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 94 lbs
Goal: Complete half marathon without having to be towed over the line
Caloric Goal: 2000 calories


Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment