Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day Two and Three

Three days into the first week and my body knows we're in business. I have to constantly be sipping water all day or else I feel totally dehydrated!

So, my day two was scheduled to be a 'Stretch and Strengthen' off day. I woke up with pretty much no muscle soreness so I was good to go! I did some light stretching first thing in the morning before a little cross-fit and some weight training on my legs. I'm a yoga instructor so I had an hour long class in the evening with my students, more of a slow restorative session, and then stretched again before bed. I made the mistake to have half a glass of white wine after dinner in the evening and it almost knocked off my face. I was totally exhausted and ended up with an upset stomach. I realized then how lax I had been about my water intake. Needless to say, I will not be making that mistake again! Sip sip sip!

Day three was back to running. My friend and I teamed up for our tempo or 'pace' training which required us to run a warm up mile and at eaaassyy pace, then run four miles at a 'comfortably difficult' speed which would my considered as my 'pace' and then do another cool down mile.
My pre-run breakfast was just a slight variation from my last one. No dairy this time as my tummy was still tender.

This was oatmeal with whey protein mixed into the water it was prepared with, peaches, chopped pecans and cinnamon.
I didn't mix in the protein powder properly though so it had a slightly gritty texture to the oatmeal...so if you are trying this make sure to mix it in well before adding the oatmeal!
The tea is a mild Japanese green tea.


This meal held me up really well once it was time to run although I felt a little heavy just after eating it. Make sure to eat your meals at LEAST and hour if not more before runs.


We started the run at an easy pace as was required. We were able to chatter happily for the full mile but once we hit the mile mark we had to break off into our own paces. I assumed that my 'pace' was a nine minute mile as I have never actually taken the time to figure it out, but I knew by my breathing and how I felt during the 4 miles that I was at the speed that was right for me. I was able to keep my breathing pretty even for the first three miles of the tempo section of the run but I have to say that the last mile felt quite a bit longer than the others! I ended up completing the first five miles of the run in 39 minutes. I was going to walk the last mile but I decided to just do what I felt was a super easy pace back just to keep the challenge going. When I reached back to the starting point I checked my time again and it was 48 minutes in total...
Turns out that my cool down mile was the nine minute mile and my tempo pace is an eight minute mile or so. I...am...chuffed!
Using the times from this run I went on www.runnersworld.com and used one of their calculators to get a rough estimate about the kind of speeds I am and should be doing and this is what I got:

Based on your 6 miles race time of 00:48:00, the paces of your different training runs should be:
9:47 min/mile Easy run training pace
8:10 min/mile Tempo run training pace
7:22 min/mile Maxmum oxygen training pace
6:49 min/mile Speed form training pace
9:47 - 11:02 min/mile Long run training pace
3:46 min/800 Yasso 800s training pace


This may not be 100% accurate but I am going to have to get some running gadgets and try to see that I am working within these margins.
Who would have thought that running could be so technical!

My immediate recovery drink was a Myoplex Lite protein shake and a Gatorade. My post-run meal later a couple hours after was a huuuuge salad with lettuce, green peppers, black olives, tomato, shredded carrots, pickles, red onions and about a 4 oz veggie patty from Subway. It filled me up really well but about an hour and a half after I felt my energy petering so I had veggie cheese with tomato and avocado on wheat free, 3 grain bread. Hit the spot.

I have to say that I didn't count my calories over day 2 and 3. I just hate doing it and I find that one can become so obsessed with the numbers and ignore the grumblings of your tummy. I counted for the first day so I have the general idea of what it takes to fill the 2000 calories properly and now I am following the same basic patterns and eating simply when I am hungry and what I really *feel* for. Just like I intuitively knew that I needed the extra carbs so soon after my lunch, it is possible to know what your body is really hungry for before choosing each mini-meal or snack. So I'm going to go with this for now. If I find that I'm losing too much weight then I will suck it up and crunch on the numbers along with my lunches.

So that's what I've done so far!


Oh, and just for a laugh. During my cool down mile I came across something rather unusual in the grass along the side of the road. The roadsides where I live are no stranger to trash but this little...or not so little article that I encountered was something quite unexpected. I told my friends about it once we were all back at home base and they were so curious about it that we actually went back to look for it once we had picked up our lunch.
Look closely:





It was as big as my arm!!!
We were wondering what the hook at the bottom was for...







Enjoy! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment