Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lets Keep Moving! Week Four!

My alarm went off at 5:00AM this morning and I made my way to the kitchen contemplating what to make. Today was a 10 mile race simulation run and I wanted to be well fueled. A race simulation meant that I was *supposed* to start at a slower pace and then run my goal race pace for the last 4 miles. I wasn't really hungry at all but there was no way that I was going to run 10 miles on a light breakfast.
While I was mulling over my options I made sure to drink a couple glasses of water because today I was determined to stay well hydrated before, during and after my run. No more runner's hangovers please!
I decided to whip out the spatula for today's pre-run meal.


Oatmeal pancakes drizzled in honey and cinnamon and topped with strawberries.

I wasn't hungry but they were so good that I scarfed them down. I haven't had pancakes in a while!

Water with breakfast.






There were several things that were different today. I stretched about an hour before the run and then right before. It rained very heavily before we got out on the road and a bit during the run. This breakfast was a bit bigger than I usually go for. I pre-hydrated a bit more as well. I ran with Tylenol wrapped in saran wrap tucked in my bra. We planned ahead and dropped off Gatorade about 5 miles into the run. And I felt sick to my stomach initially.

It was a grumpy start for us both actually. My running partner slept very little and and so did I. My car battery died so he was nice enough to get up a bit earlier to pick me up. He was feeling heavy from his meal and I was feeling queasy. We tried to keep the conversation cheery but once we started our first mile we fell into silence with the odd grumble here and there. One thing was for sure. We were very grateful that we jump to 12 miles NEXT week.
After the first mile was over I picked up my pace as usual. My energy suddenly spiked and I noticed that my pace had naturally hastened. I was wondering if I was going too fast and slowed down slightly but my legs were being sneaky and I kept speeding back up. Half way through the second mile took me along the coast and it started to rain lightly again. It was wonderful except that the sea breeze was extremely forceful, so much so that when I ran out from the protection of the coastline trees it knocked me so hard I skid! It was very challenging trying to keep pace against such wind and I was worried that I expended too much energy this early in. I began to feel better though and I kept trudging along at the same speed. I realized that I had gone about 3.5 miles and hardly dented the Gatorade in my hand. I started taking bigger sips as more frequently even if I wasn't particularly thirsty. I wanted to see if it would make a difference in my performance. I may have drank a little more than I needed because I was feeling my stomach sloshing about a bit for a lot of the run...but I rather have too much than too little....I'm thinking that this is a big part of why I get so dehydrated post-run. Oh and I have also just figured out the art of running and drinking at the same time without spilling or snorting my drink. It involves shifting my hips forward a bit and holding my breath while I sip. Its the only way I don't get it up my nose.
When I reached the 4.5 mile mark I was happy to notice that my pace was still going strong. I only finished about half of my Gatorade by the 5 mile mark (though it felt like I drank 10) but I went ahead and picked up the full one instead. My brain got confused when I suddenly switched from lemon-lime Gatorade to the mango flavoured one. It seemed to shock my taste buds more than it should.
When I passed the area where I discovered my bloody shirt last time I saw my time and I vaguely remembered being at that point a little later. I wasn't sure but this was a nice ray of hope and it kept me moving. My pace was still up there and I was feeling more confident by the second. Then came the new gels. The one that we were trying this time was called Honey Stinger and it sure lived up to its name. Mine was chocolate flavoured and I hoped to God that my chocolate gel would not burst in my pants! The taste was just as I expected: murderously sweet honey mixed with chocolate. However this gel took to the heat a lot better. Due to it being so sugary I needed to chug some more Gatorade after to wash it down.



You can get these caffeinated as well but I opted for the caffeine free version.











Not too long after eating the gel I got an unpleasant nudge from my stomach. You know that lower abdominal burn that you get which forewarns you that you're about to spend most of the day getting better acquainted with your toilet? Yeah...well I got that. I tried not to panic but I couldn't stop my mind from racing over the worst case scenarios and the fact that I was wearing tights for goodness sake and my only option would be to run into the sea as there were no bushes nearby. The internet circulated photo of the marathon runner who crapped himself and kept running came to mind and I was dying inside at the thought of it! Was I going to have my first GI mishap on such a good run?! Noooonooonooo please no!!! I knew the run was going too well! Panic-panic-hey keep running you-panic-more panic.
I kept going and to my utter relief the pains starting to fade. No mid-run runs for me this time! Phew! hahaha!
Running past the place where my nail popped up last week I was pleased to see how much more energy I had this time (and the fact that my clothes were still unsoiled). I still have that nail by the way...the nail bed seems to have sank back in place.
The real excitement happened during the ninth mile...I realized that I had reached that point a few minutes faster than last week. And the end was near! I kept the pace until I knew that the finish was about 400m away and then I started to run faster and faster until I sprinted across the finish at one hour and thirty four minutes! The first time I did 9 miles I finished in one hour and forty five minutes so I was thrilled! I've knocked 21 minutes off my time in two weeks!! I threw up my arms in triumph and knocked my shades clean off my head and had to walk back a few meters over the finish to retrieve them. Not what I had in mind but then I ripped off my shoes and dove straight into the sea fully clothed. The sea was rough and cool and it felt amazing to kick lightly and be tossed about by the waves. I then walked up the beach sipping the rest of my Gatorade that I felt too full to finish but figured I needed it. The cool water on my feet was divine! The feeling I had today is so much better than winning any old race. Its the feeling of personal improvement and that was all I needed. I ended up walking the beach more than I wanted to due to some confusion over the pick-up point and on my second and third time down the beach my feet were killing me from the steep incline of the shoreline. I took the soggy Tylenol out of my bra and popped those and they helped after a while. No pain really mattered at that point though. I felt amazing and I had energy to spare. Today was really an encouraging day after the strain of my tempo run. So happy!

I had a couple errands to run after lunch. My post-run lunch was the same as last week. The vegan burger/baked potato combo and then an hour or so after I had an apple with skimmed milk.

I was pretty pooped for my errands and when I got home I had the apple and milk and then plopped on the couch where my cat happily snuggled with me. I'm pretty sure I heard the workmen from next door shouting outside the house but I wasn't moving for anything. I had work at 4PM and it was nap time thankyouverymuch.



Shhh! We're dozing off and take pictures of ourselves at the same time!









A great day of training over. I feel proud of myself. We've been working hard and we're seeing results. My running partner knocked 15 minutes off of his time as well! I had said before the run that if my time continued to get slower I would take a few days off of running to recover to avoid over training but it was quite the opposite! Now I have no excuse to slack off. :P

Oh well! Tomorrow is day two which is scheduled to be an easy run. Depending on how I am feeling I may do the run or cross train but I will definitely be doing yoga.
I'll let you know. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Great reading!
    And well done with everything!
    You're doing amazing.

    ... and what a cute pic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbin! Hahaha! XD
    Thanks so much hun. You're doing great yourself! Keep up all the hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete