Monday, October 25, 2010

Week Three: Days Four and Five

Daaay Four. Back to running.
We didn't rise as early as usual for this run and I'm not sure why. We were scheduled to do a 5 mile moderate tempo run with a mile warm up and cool down. That's seven miles in total. Seven didn't seem so bad after the eleven miles but it's still a considerable distance.
I woke up to a light morning rain outside and I was hoping the skies would be good to us and save some of it for the middle of our run.
My breakfast was the same as the day before. I had liked the energy I felt during the bike ride and I figured I was go for it again today.


Yogurt mixed with protein powder with strawberries, banana and dried cranberries tossed into the mix.

Water with breakfast again.








We set out at 8:00Am and my running partner and I both felt that the warm up mile was way harder than it should have been. We just didn't have the give we felt we needed...and today was a tempo run! Our knees were slightly sore (they usually feel a little stiff at the beginning of runs though), our energy wasn't where it should be and we knew that we were in for a tough run.
The workout was that we ran a warm up mile and once we reached the mile mark we would then have to increase our speed to a moderate tempo and keep that pace for five miles. Yikes. It also dawned on me during the first mile that braininess me forgot to STRETCH before I started! Once we reached the end of the first "warm up" mile that felt like it should have been the last of the seven I stretched there. Neither of us were looking forward to the next five miles. We grumbled and groaned about it on the way there but once it was time to do we knew we just had to get it over with. Not the attitude that I like to have when it comes to exercise but my body was not cooperating.
I ran the five miles at the best pace I could. I knew that it was not as fast as my moderate pace usually is but there was no way that I was going to push harder. I wanted to make sure that I could finish and I was feeling it enough. We went a new route this time too which had a lot of inclines and what felt like too few declines. It was also searing hot out that day and I was feeling every bit of it. By the time I reached the turn around point at 2.5 miles into the tempo section I reeeaaallly wished that it was over already but I headed back to base with the encouraging reminder that the way back doesn't always feel as hard. I'll be honest and say that it was marginally easier. The longer we were out there the hotter it got and the elements were licking into me. The sun was beating down, I had to run straight into a strong wind that didn't seem to cool me at all, the pavement was steamy, buses didn't want to leave room for me and I had to dash off the road a few times resulting in my foot going down in a hole...which could have been very bad...and all in all it was just tough. I finished the 5 mile tempo section in 47 minutes. Honestly I thought that my time was going to be much worse. I dragged my feet all the way back on the last mile and I was so happy to see home base. Seven miles is no joke...even when you did eleven.
For the past few workouts I've been having a different protein shake other than the myoplex.



EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control.
It comes in strawberry too <3












After that I headed home for a quick nap before lunch with my family. It was my belated birthday lunch and I was excited because that meant more sushi!!!


Spicy salmon rolls with tuna sashimi.
*drool*












Sorry about the quality of that shot. I take all of these on my phone and the exposure is hit or miss.

I was pretty worn out after that run. I had to nap again after lunch and get up in time for the afternoon sound check for a concert we were having that evening. Another long day and I didn't fuel up properly because from 3:30 to 9:30 I didn't have anything to eat because we were so busy and then the food spread after the concert didn't have anything I could eat (everything breaded and fried) except some fruit and veg that my stomach burned up almost instantly. I got home like a ravenous bear and commandeered the kitchen until I started to feel even remotely human again. I was so hungry I felt to throw up and pass out at the same time. I should have been smarter and put the granola that I brought in my purse and not left it in the car that I could not get to. I didn't feel better right away once I ate and I crashed face down in my bed in my clothes and didn't move until my stomach was begging for more food again an hour later.
Note to self: Stay human. Pack food.

Day Five I did some body-weight training followed by upper body weight training. I would have spent the day in a wheelchair to avoid the use of my legs if I could. Most of my workout targeted everything from the hips up. My legs needed to rest up for day six...speedwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment