Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day One!

Right. So...my friends (won't post names until I ask if I can! Haha!) planned out a six mile run. I've done this distance before and it was a challenge so I figured it would be a gutsy but worthwhile test of how far along I actually am. I count this run as my 'long run' for the week so I won't be doing this distance again until sometime next week.

I've decided to cut out all caffeine pre-runs so as to avoid mid-run 'runs'. I made the mistake to read about all the strange yet explainable things that happen to runners and the section on GI nightmares really freaked me out a bit. Anyways, I started today with a cup of lemon juice in warm water with cinnamon and a yummy yogurt-granola concoction that I like to have before workouts.

This would be plain yogurt, a scoop of whey protein powder, half a cup of warmed peaches sprinkled with cinnamon and granola.
It was the perfect pre-run meal and I felt well fueled for my entire run!
Maybe I should have gone with soy yogurt though...I'm lactose (and wheat) intolerant so I should probably have warned my training partners before hand. :P







So...we decided to turn the 6 mile run into a 10k (6.25 miles). We started with a warm up from the PX90 tapes and then off we went! I remember reading that I needed to do my runs at a comfortable pace...and if I can't talk then I'm going too fast. Everyone's pace is different so naturally my friends and I ended up spacing out and I had to talk to myself to make sure I wasn't pushing too hard. Haha. Hilariously, even though the TOLD me the trail...I managed to end up going the wrong way and having to go back...AND running way beyond the turn around point that I ended up adding an extra 1k to my distance. Brains I tell you...
I still managed to finish in what I feel was a good time, doing 11k in 51 minutes and 50 seconds.
Five minutes after I made sure to drink an EAS high quality protein shake and a bottle of gatorade to have a quick refuel.
All in all I think it was a good start and I will update you tomorrow!!

Oh and just for fun, here is my post-run lunch:

Spicy sweet potato baked chips
Morningstar Farms Garden Vegetable Veggie Burger patty
1 slice Veggie Pepperjack Cheese
.25 cup kidney beans (under cheese)
Tomatoes, onion all wrapped in lettuce as I can't eat bread.







Today's intake: 2005 calories
Distance: 11K Time: 51 mins 50 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment