Friday, November 12, 2010

Crazy Amazing Days Seven and Week SIX Day One!

Wow wow wow time is just zinging past and I'm struggling to keep up!!
So sorry for the delay in posting. I don't have much time tonight but I will update you on two days and do the other two tomorrow!!!

Week Five Day Seven:

This was the day I finally made it into the gym for the first time in YEARS. One of my students told me about an intense training session that happens in the gym every Tuesday and he wanted me to try it out. I skipped on it last week because of lack of rest...and this week I didn't sleep that much more but I definitely felt way more energetic and so I was ready for the challenge.
I had a bunch of errands in the morning before and I was running low on time so I decided to eat out whilst I was in town.
I went to my favourite vegetarian restaurant that never fails to deliver great taste at an affordable price!

Stewed lentils, steamed spinach and ocra with a beet and carrot salad.

The portion of lentils is far too much so I only ate half.









This meal had me bouncing with energy and I got to the gym all excited and ready to kick butt. I was the only girl training with these huge guys...it was pretty funny to see.
I can't remember all of the exercises exactly but we did a lot of hip flexor exercises, tons of core work, they gave us all weighted bars that we had to do a series of exercises with and then hold the bar above our heads, then straight out in front of us (ooooooooouch) while walking laps. We had push up drills, some crazy exercises for our backs where the trainer holds a ball out in front of you at different levels (you're laying on your stomach) and you have to reach up and tap the ball one time after the next after the next with no rest and with the ball getting higher up and ou have to do it extremely quickly. We did different squats, burpies, plank jumps, high knees...yeah it was tough but amaaazing. So fun to be training with other people as well. It really makes you push yourself that much harder. We ended with some running drills to improve your running start in sprinting. I went home buzzing with energy and hoping with all my might that I would have next Tuesday off...and I do! :D


This is where it all went down!












I had yoga in the evening and then rehearsals after...and I felt so alive and invigorated. I wasn't a bit tired! It really was a great day.


Week SIX Day One!

This was my 'big run' day again...and it was made even bigger because this time I was doing everything by myself. I didn't want to say anything before because I hoped that it wasn't the case...but after last week's 12 mile run, my running partner threw in the towel.
Its tough...I mean this training program is intense. It demands all of you, all of the time and you have to be willing to push yourself to your limits...and far out of your comfort zone. The difference between he and I is that I enjoy this...and he wasn't enjoying it anymore. Its fair enough...but I'll miss him.
So, I found out kind of last minute that this run would be done solo, but I know what to do by now so I am fully capable of planning my routes. This run was an 11 mile race simulation so I was expected to run a bit faster...just like I would in the race. I woke up at 5 and actually GOT up this time and sauntered into the kitchen for the breakfast that I wanted to have for the long run the week before.



Oatmeal pancakes drizzled in light maple syrup with half a cup of chopped watermelon.










While getting ready I realized that I didn't have any Vaseline and so I had to use my noodle to find a substitute. I remember that I had a bottle of lavender baby oil so I slicked down my 'problem areas' generously and then I got ready, packed my cooler and my duffel bag and drove down to my starting point of choice. The plan was to drive out 5.5 miles, plant the cooler and drive back to the starting point and be off! Driving the 5.5 miles out made me realize how far I was actually running...it was like I was driving and driving but the miles were creeping by...when I got to the 5.5 mark there was a metal spoke in the ground with a pink bit tied on it. Perfect! I put my drinks in the grass behind it and headed back.

I got to the parking lot...stuffed my car keys down my shorts and then wondered what to do with the banana. What banana you may ask.
WELL...smartypants here forgot to get gels so I had to resort to bananas again. I initially packed two bananas, one in the cooler and one to start with. I was really not happy about having to eat a banana while running but I didn't really have a choice. I just hoped to God it wouldn't have me running to the nearest bush. I decided that I was not running with a banana in my tights so I was going to hold it in one hand and my water in the other.
Stretch, timer started and off we go!
The first mile of my run included the hill that I did hillwork on. I was so pleased to see how much easier it was for me to run lightly all the way up it. It wasn't incredibly easy but there was a great difference. Off to a good start!
The route had a lot of ups and downs so that made it challenging. It wasn't so bad running on my own. I felt a little bit proud of myself for doing everything alone...like the kid who finally uses the potty aaaaall by herself...and I enjoyed the morning breeze rushing over my cheeks. Pun intended.
I was hoping that I'd get some aromatherapy action from my lavender oil but I guess my old sweaty self pretty much overpowered it and made my sportsbra soak most of it up. The bra was lavender coloured though so I guess it was entitled. :P When I was about three miles in I started to soften up the banana by squeezing it gently trying to make the pulp mushy. My hope was that by the time I was ready to eat it I could squeeze it out like a gel. (Keep all of your potty-brain banana jokes to yourself from this point on! Haha!) But yeah...I had to pretty much massage the banana for a couple miles and then I bit off the tip and squeezed on the top end...and voila! It worked! I still ate it much slower than I ingest the gels because I was worried that it would be too bulky. Over about .75 miles I slowly sucked out half of the banana in small amounts so that it would not choke me like the last time. I felt pretty chuffed at my bright idea...but I still would rather a gel. Hahah.
I reached the 5.5 mile at about 55 minutes so I knew I was in good time. I got my Gatorade and left the other banana because I only ate half of the first one. I ran along the coast back in the other direction, making my way back to base. It got pretty hot and there were tons of cars on the road with early morning traffic. I tried to eat the second half of my banana inconspicuously but that was rather difficult. The hotter it got, the harder it got to run...and when I had two more miles to go I started to feel the effects of how much faster I was running...and how much faster I was taking the hills. I knew I could hold the pace though...and I was happy to see that I actually ran UP the hills faster than I ran the flats. Reaching the parking lot again was sweet victory as I finished in an hour and forty five minutes...which made me a few minutes faster than my last run AND it meant that I kept a steady pace of nine minute miles throughout!! The first thing I did was rip off my shoes and dash into the sea!


The victory sprint into the ocean!












There is nothing like the rush of seawater over hot, sore limbs. I ran in the sea fully clothed again and I had to try to refrain from doing the deadman's float because it might have been a bit alarming if someone saw me. But man...so good. I dried off and then went home and passed out for a couple hours after having a protein shake. When I woke up I was shaking with hunger and discovered a nasty pain in my arches. It was so bad that I could not walk without shoes on...I had to get my Burks with plenty arch support and drag my feet into the kitchen to make lunch. I must have been a sight in my underwear, night robe and my clunky Burks.
When I got to the kitchen...all I knew was that I wanted salmon and I wanted it NOW. Hahah. I was monstrously hungry. I was hoping to have a seared fillet but I pulverized the crap out of the fillet trying to force it to hurry up and thaw...so upon looking at the salmon mush that I had produced I though...salmon tacos it is!


Salmon and red onion tacos drizzled with honey mustard. That's the last of the plantain, baked.











I ended up nicknaming this my Zoidberg-er because it reminded me of Professor Zoidberg once I put it out on the plate...


















Then I REALLY had to ice my feet. I remember when I iced my foot when I first started to lose my nail that I felt a difference between the two feet for the rest of the day. My arches still hurt a lot so I got myself a bowl full of ice and popped my tootsies in!



Brrrr....











It made a world of a difference though!

Once I was up and about again...I had one more exciting thing on the agenda for the day. I had been asked to model as a cherubim and the shoot was that day! I was to have my back airbrushed and it was to be a 'tattoo' of three of the heads of a cherubim (an eagle, a lion and a bull). I was nervous and excited. My last modeling job was a disaster but it was a commercial shoot. This was editorial and much more up my alley.


Pretty cool eh? I had to stand like that for ages and try not to move while they painted it on. That was just as hard for me as my training...I am so fidgety.









But the shoot was fantastic and lots of fun! The photographer is a great guy and was very encouraging and gave clear direction. He was happy with my performance as well so it really was a great experience! Lots of laughs. Can't wait to see the finished result!
Yet another great day! How blessed am I???

I don't have time to post anymore so I will fill you in on the rest of the days asap!!!!

Big love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Well done on the fast 11 miles, liked the artwork and loved that you used "coloured".

    ReplyDelete